Commercial GEOTECHNICAL SHORING
services in Atlanta
Commercial geotechnical shoring refers to the act of shoring up a structure while keeping geotechnical engineering principles in mind. At Atlas Piers, this is just one of the many services we offer to our commercial clients.
What Is Commercial Shoring?
Shoring refers to a number of processes that support a building or foundation and prevent it from collapsing. Shoring tends to be temporary solution used during the construction phase of a project. For instance, if you are doing a renovation and you need to remove walls or supporting columns, you may use shoring to hold the existing ceilings in place. Similarly, if you make a trench for construction purposes, shoring may be installed to prevent the trench from collapsing on the workers.
What Is Geotechnical Shoring?
Geotechnical shoring goes a step further than traditional shoring, and it involves geotechnical elements. Geotechnical engineering takes into account the makeup of the soil and rocks below the surface, and those details determine which type of shoring methods needed to be used. For instance, if the soil is exceptionally sandy or clay filled, it may require different shoring elements. Beyond that, geotechnical shoring takes into account natural slopes, human deposits, and how machinery moving through the area is going to affect the shoring.
What Are Options for Geotechnical Shoring?
Depending on the needs of the project, geotechnical shoring may include soldier piles, pneumatic shoring solutions such as jacks, or timber and aluminum shoring materials. Additionally, chemical grouting, soil nails, and sprayed concrete may also be used.
What Is Soil Nailing?
One of the most popular geotechnical shoring techniques we use for our commercial clients is soil nailing. Soil nailing is a method of earth retention that relies on reinforcing members installed in a strategic geometric pattern that creates an internally and mechanically reinforced soil mass.
Soil nail walls are constructed from the top down. The construction sequence for the typical soil nail wall includes the following steps:
- Initial excavation of up to 5 feet deep. That varies depending upon design parameters and the soil conditions.
- Installation of the first row of helical soil nails. For each project, these nails are installed in different spots to meet the required angle of inclination, torque and embedment lengths.
- Placement of drainage system if necessary. This helps to allow any water from the water table or due to rainfall to exit the area without impacting the project.
- Placement of wall reinforcement and bearing plates.
- Placement of shot concrete or sprayed concrete to the required wall thickness.
- Allow for cure time to stabilize the shoring.
- Repeat the entire sequence for successive rows of soil nails.
- Continue the process until the final design depth or wall height is achieved.
Commercial Geotechnical Shoring Services in Atlanta
Your house deserves to stand on solid ground. If you need commercial geotechnical shoring services in Atlanta, contact Atlas Piers today. We are experts in foundation repair, and so much more. We have been providing foundation and shoring services for commercial clients in Atlanta for other 30 years.